Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Color Blind?

"If you don't see color, then you don't see me."

-Racey from the webseries The Unwritten Rules.


Like I mentioned in my previous post, I've been away from my blog for quite a while. But this issue of 'color-blindness' is one that I've discussed briefly on social media.

Last year, I shared the work of provocative podcast host and author, Tiffany Rae Reed. She is the author of Color blind:A Mixed Girl's Perspective on Biracial Life.  I posted a link to her book on my Facebook wall last Fall right after I read it for the first time.     The response was of course positive.   But, as I suspected it might happen, I did get some pushback suggesting that we all should indeed strive to achieve colorblindness in order to move on from our country's racially charged past.

I admit, for most of my adult life I believed this was desirable as a Black woman. I think I've even used the term to describe myself, believing it proved my truly open and non-prejudicial nature and life.

But, what I didn't realize at the time(until a couple of years ago, seriously..) was that by pursuing this ideal of complete racial harmony and acceptance, I was doing others a disservice by refusing as Racey says to truly see them, color and all.

The profound words of my friend Tiffany and now this character Racey have solidified my rejection of the color blind ideology.

If you've never seen an episode of the Unwritten Rules, which is based on the book of the same name, I highly recommend it.  I suggest starting with the first season and binge viewing(episodes are short, enlightening, and entertaining) all the way through to the current season(3).  Otherwise, check out this month's episode on mistaken identity where Racey delivers the above words that stopped me cold as I walked through my kitchen and invited no small amount of soul-searching.





2 comments:

  1. I look forward to reading more of you blog.. and thanks for this link to this show. One of my best friends is black and we were having a discussion about how important her history is and by society thinking that not being racist is ignoring the race, when that really makes things even harder for her to relate..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I look forward to blogging more regularly. Thanks a lot for your input. Yes, simply attempting to ignore race and be 'post-racial', we do a disservice to all the richness that exists in all of our backgrounds. :)

      Delete