Monday, January 16, 2012

What did Dr. King really do?

I didn't write a blog tribute this year to Martin Luther King Jr. But, I did again contemplate some of the same issues and themes as I did last year.   I did come across another tribute that I found intriguing.  One that didn't have the same "Dr King fought against injustice for all people" flavor.


It's called "Most of you have no idea what Martin Luther King actually did." 
The author suggests that the gains made by King's legacy were primarily for the benefit of African Americans in a very specific way. Not just the marching and peaceful protesting about lunch counters and separate drinking fountains.
He makes a provocative statement that "He ended the terror of living as a black person."


To get the full effect of this statement, I highly recommend you check out the entire article. It will really make you think. I know it did me.   But I wonder, do you think this perspective is divisive?



No comments:

Post a Comment